Devotions for Dating Couples - Week 1: Love, Tuesday: First Love

Luke 7:36-50
Romans 8:31-39
Ephesians 1:3-8

It's easy to lose sight of what's important in life when something big is right in front of you, like a relationship, a job offer, a deal you can't pass up. But the only way to succeed in your relationship, or job or any aspect of your life, is to make God the center of it. If He is not your focus, then your motives are not pure and your decision could lead you down the wrong path. Love and passion are both wonderful gifts from God and he puts people in our life for us to love so that we can experience and share those gifts with them. But we cannot forget where those gifts come from or who made it possible for us to feel that way. God's pure love for us that has been demonstrated through His actions and His Words is the guide by which we we love others in our lives.

I like that today's devotional really followed what my train of thought was after yesterday's. The connection between God's true love and that His love comes first in our lives and in our hearts isn't really a conscious one, but reflecting on these devotionals helps make it real. Worshiping God is far more important and rewarding than any love I have for anyone on Earth. The physical reaction I get from my passion for Luke is nothing compared to the feeling that washes over me when I connect with God through worship. I need to make sure that I don't let go of that connection while my connection with Luke grows, which is why I wanted us to do this devotional. My heart belongs to God and the only way I can give what's in my heart to Luke, is to share that passion for God with him, as well as our passion for one another.

Comments