Devotions for Dating Couples - Week 5: Simplicity, Friday: Sitting at the Feet of the Master

I can understand Martha's frustration with Mary in that story, but not because Mary got Jesus' attention. It's hard to see how doing nothing is the better choice when doing something gets visible results. Martha's efforts got the house cleaned, the food prepared and served, while Mary's choice brought her heart closer to the heart of God and brought joy into her life. Though Martha's actions seemed more practical, Mary's were more rewarding.

I acknowledge that I have a hard time slowing down and that being busy is something I strive for. I tell myself it's because I don't like being bored, but really it's because when I'm busy it feels like I'm in control. I can focus on the task at hand and not worry about other things, or about myself. I'm hoping that my plans for this semester will help me have more time, and that I won't try to fill that time up with busyness.

Comments